1. Complementary appointment to get to know each other
If you are anything like I was, I saw many different therapists, often just for 1 session as I felt that they ‘didn’t get me’. This is why I offer a complementary 30 minute appointment in person or on Skype so we can get to know each other & from there we can make a decision whether we are the right match for each other. The ‘1 session then change' approach just slows down recovery & I want to make sure this does not happen for you.
2. 90 minute first session
This is where we delve a little deeper into you, your eating disorder & everything it is affecting in your life. I treat food as a symptom of something else going on for you & this session will look to explore where all of this came from & is the basis of how I build & what I include within your recovery programme.
3. Weekly outcome-based follow ups
Subsequent sessions will be weekly, either in person or on Skype. This ensures enough continuity & builds momentum when you begin to see changes. All follow ups are outcome-based rather than time-based so we will continue until whatever we are working on that week is resolved & you can leave feeling empowered, not cut off because of timings.
4. Weekly accountability tasks to complete
I am also here as your accountability buddy & part of this I will be asking you to complete a set of tasks each week between sessions. The purpose of these tasks is to continue to build on the great work we do in our sessions & to ensure we continue to progress over the next 7 days. These tasks can be anything from journalling, gratitude, self-love & kindness to working on diet, exercise or any physical symptoms.
5. Personalised between-session support programme
The thing that really got me about seeing a therapist was the fact that I could leave the session in a good place, but something may happen in the week & I would get triggered back & relapse. I felt un-supported & helpless knowing I had to wait another 5 days until I could see my therapist. The fact is 60% of changes happen outside sessions! This is why you will also be given your own personalised between-session support programme which includes:
- Round the clock support from me via email, Whats app, Facebook or text. I often receive messages such as;“ help I’m feeling really anxious today & I don’t know what to do”. I am here for you to help you manage any unwanted thoughts or feelings BEFORE you become triggered.
- You will be given tasks & strategies to use daily to help keep you on track.
- Mid session check in via phone or Skype. If you feel like you need a check-in from your accountability buddy mid-week we can talk through the last few days & set you up for success until you see me.
- I will write you your own unique hypnosis recording for you to listen to before you go to sleep or as a calming tool. This again builds on the shifts which happen in our sessions & primes your unconscious for the deep-rooted changes which will help overcome the root cause of your eating disorder.
6. Diet and Gastro-intestional symptom management & advice
It is well known that during recovery GI symptoms can develop & this can really slow down your progress. General diet advice may not be helpful when you are suffering with GI symptoms. I have a diagnosed digestive condition which impacted my recovery, so I had to look outside the normal gut management advice. I will help you to manage any symptoms you are suffering with & offer diet & supplement advice to ensure that you stay on track.
7. Complementary monthly sessions for struggling parents/family members
Eating Disorders do not just impact the individual. There can also be huge emotional impact on their families & people close to them. My ED nearly destroyed my family relationship as nobody knew how to cope & help. This created tension & fear at home, rather than a safe place to recover. This can seriously impact the length of recovery.Your mum, dad, brother, aunt, best friend will be offered a free session per month to support them through recovery.
8. Access to motivational tools & advice for FREE
You will be sent weekly tools, tips and strategies to keep you motivated and on track.